Introduction, Discussion Ideas, and Tepper

From: Judith A. Little (littleja@POTSDAM.EDU)
Date: Thu Mar 06 1997 - 15:59:38 PST

Hello, All,

        I'm Judith Little, a new philosopher and Sci Fi fan. My areas of
speciality are Social and Political Philosophy, and Ethics. I discovered
Feminist Sci Fi about two years ago and can't get enough of it.

        Some profs, administrators, and I are starting a Feminist Sci Fi
discussion group on campus. I'd appreciate some ideas for our reading
list, especially the first book, which will be crucial in determining the
group's success. Most of us have read the classics (LeGuin, Peircy, Russ,
etc.) and have recently discovered Sherri S. Tepper. I was thinking of one
of Octavia Butler's books for the first book, as I've only read her short
story, "Bloodchild." Any ideas for Butler or any other authors' works will
be most appreciated.

        Speaking of Tepper, I just finished teaching an intersession
course, which I called "Sci Fi, Sex, and Philosophy." I substituted
Tepper's "Gate to Women's Country" as one of the course books at the last
minute because Susan Elgin's "Native Tongue" was out of print. I'd be
interested in comments about Tepper's work, especially GTWC and "Shadow's
End."

                Judith Little

Dr. Judith Ann Little Philosophy Department SUNY-Potsdam
       Potsdam, NY 13676-2294 littleja@potsdam.edu