Marge Piercy

From: Nicola Griffith (NicolaZ@aol.com)
Date: Thu Mar 27 1997 - 13:23:58 PST

Janet, I saw your question on the feministsf list. As far as I can tell,
yes, she has only written two books that could be classified as science
fiction: HE, SHE AND IT and WOMAN ON THE EDGE OF TIME. Both are well worth
reading, particularly the latter. I haven't looked at it for years, and now
that it's the 90s suspect it might read as hopelessly idealistically in
parts, but when I read it in the late 70s, I thought it
marvellous--interesting, moving, frightening, thought-provoking. Well worth
a try. HE, SHE AND IT is a little more difficult to quantify. I think it's
a good novel--a well-written, always interesting retelling/revisiting of the
Golem of Prague story--but the background appears to be lifted wholesale,
without criticism, from Gibson's work, which in my opinion is a mistake. And
it bothered me that Piercy thanks Gibson so profusely in the foreword (or
introduction, or preface, or whatever she calls it). I would still recommend
it, though.

One of her non-sf works I'd also recommend is SMALL CHANGES--a much, much
better (and earlier) version of THE WOMEN'S ROOM.

I'm quite envious of you getting to meet her next month, and of you having
the pleasure of reading her work for the first time. Enjoy.

Nicola

Nicola Griffith
http://www.america.net/~daves/ng/