Dystopias, Reproductive Tech

From: Judith A. Little (littleja@POTSDAM.EDU)
Date: Wed Apr 02 1997 - 09:39:31 PST

Tamara Anderson wrote:
  "I am doing a paper on Aldous Huxley's Brave New World and
what a woman's place in a society with bottled babies would
be. I am having a hard time finding material on any feminist
literary criticisms concerning dystopias. Please help! Thank
you."

        In addition to the recommendations provided by others, check out
the bibliographies on the Feminist Sci Fi web site.

        Re: what a woman's place in a society with bottled babies would
be, two traditional feminist answers are--Women would be better off! No,
we'd be worse off! First answer comes from Shulamith Firestone and others;
second from Adrienne Rich, and others. You should check out Piercy's Woman
on the Edge of Time for contrast to Huxley. It presents a utopian vision
of woman's place in a society with bottled babies.

        Judith

Dr. Judith Ann Little Philosophy Department SUNY-Potsdam
       Potsdam, NY 13676-2294 littleja@potsdam.edu