Re: delany

From: lissa bloomer (ebloomer@MAIL.VT.EDU)
Date: Fri Apr 04 1997 - 16:41:05 PST

AMP wrote:

>2) later on, in _silent interviews_, he explains whatever he thinks about
>his being labeled "a feminist sf writer". he tells that he thinks he
>isn't, and shall never be such, because he thinks it's impossible for a
>man - no matter his sexual preferences - to be actually a feminist.
>
>does anyone thinks this is food for thought?

hmmm. i think anyone who is against rape, against domestic violence, and
all for women being treated well and unbiased in the workplace (i almost
wrote "equal", but i'm working that word through, these days)(we're not
equal... don't want to be)is, in my book, a feminist. what's terrible,
though, is that so many people these days don't want to call themselves
feminist because it would thus label them as ones who are against males in
some way... (which, in many cases, they are... but it seems to be certain
males in particular.) i'm thinking of my freshman (freshpeople) class -- i
asked them "how many of you would call yourselves feminists?" and 1 or 2
out of a class of 25 would raise their hands. but if i ask "how many of
you are for women being treated equally in the workplace?" or "how many of
you think that women should not have to obey men?" or other questions like
this, and of course, all of them raise their hands. i wish i could be like
Lillian Robinson (who used to teach here at Va Tech) who tells her classes
that if anyone is not a feminist or if anyone doesn't like Virginia Woolf,
they should get out of her class immediately. ha. wish i could muster up
the same ovaries.

i'm surprised that delaney said that men cannot be feminists. because he
seems to be a sympathetic and empathetic man -- enough to know that the
mind can understand anything, regardless of position. (reminds me of that
senator who said to anita hill, "i'm sorry i don't know what it's like to
be a woman, so i can't begin to understand your situation." -- i think
that's a big ol' cop-out.)
feminism is comprised of both sex-issues and gender-issues. and certainly
not every woman is a feminist. (even though she should be :)

-lissa bloomer

if you're wearing pants, thank my great great great grandmother.

elisabeth bloomer
instructor, english
virginia tech
ebloomer@vt.edu