Re: Octavia Butler:_Parable of the Sower_re:question

From: Martha Bartter (MBARTTER@TRUMAN.EDU)
Date: Mon Apr 14 1997 - 07:01:08 PDT

At 17:11 4/13/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>As a professor in training...any suggestions for what type of literature
>courses Butler's works would be a good choice to explore? What came to mind
>immediately was perhaps a literature course dealing with gender issues,
>noting the way in Parable how the people in Lauren's immediate circle seem to
>hold to 1950ish values about society in such a time that displays the society
>to be so dystopian through deterioration that society.
>
>Any thoughts would be welcome
>
>Jo Ann Rangel

I used _Kindred_ to start off a "Survey of American Literature II" class...
that's kind of post-Whitman to now in chronology. Went from _Kindred_ to
_Huckleberry Finn_ -- the students enjoyed the introduction, and used it
a lot to center all the Civil and Post-Civil war stuff. You don't have
to create a "special" area for Butler, at least not that book.

Martha Bartter
Truman State University