Re: critical reading and island breezes

From: farah mendlesohn (fm7@york.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Apr 19 1997 - 05:22:53 PDT

On Tue, 15 Apr 1997 12:48:43 -0500 Michael Marc Levy wrote:

> Based on class evaluations and comments during discussion, it
[Door into Ocean] was too
> complex and too slow, nothing much happened, passive resistance
doesn't work
> and isn't very believable, suicide is not an acceptable option, and
they
> couldn't connect with the viewpoint characters.
>
> Sigh.
>
> Mike

Did you point out its connection to Quaker philosophy? It is
interesting to compare it to her Still Falls on Foxfield, to LeGuin's The
Eye of the Heron (or is it the Compass Rose, I am not sure) and to
Judith Moffat's Penterra. There seems to be a tradition of non-violent
resisatance lurking around sf. One of the most sucesful portrayals I
know of is Harry Harrison's The Stainless Steel Rat Gets Drafted.

I realise that this is sort of off the feminist topic, but *why* is violence
both necessary and the cause of squeamishness? And do we as
feminists have to discuss only "feminism" (whatever that is).

Farah