Re: The Female Man & critical reading

From: farah mendlesohn (fm7@YORK.AC.UK)
Date: Tue Apr 22 1997 - 10:15:39 PDT

On Sun, 20 Apr 1997 14:57:19 -0500 lissa bloomer wrote:
 what is it, for you, (et al), that changes in a text
> when you read for an assignment?
>
> -lissa

An interesting question, followed by why, when asked to review a
book, do I sometimes go off the idea of reading it? Some of it I think
is just the human reaction to being made to do something.
Increasingly I try to let one essay a semester be a totally free choice,
and I am always amazed by how creative some (not all) of my
students can be. This year students asked to write about a pice of
"religious" fiction have ranged from What Katy Did to Stranger in A
Strange Land. Last year a student on my American City course used
the game Sim City to explain town planning regs. Sometimes
freeedom--if directed--can be helpful.

Farah