Re: critical reading and island breezes

From: farah mendlesohn (fm7@YORK.AC.UK)
Date: Tue Apr 22 1997 - 10:25:27 PDT

On Sun, 20 Apr 1997 21:48:37 -0400 Joel VanLaven wrote:

> > i also find it a bit odd that more students at this big ol' technical
> > university are not more into sf. ideas? one of my collegues
suggests the
> > old addage/idea: math is for boys, and reading is for girls.
yechchchch.
> > (so fem sf should be for everyone, under that ol stereotype, eh?)
>
> Yech indeed. It boggles my mind how this could be the case,
even if
> only in a societal context. Unfortunately, I see this often enough in
my
> own life. I just joined a sci-fi reading group at the local Borders.
> There were three women, me, and the man that worked there that
was in
> charge of the group. Note that this was sci-fi in general, not even
> feminist sci-fi. It seemes that one societal imbalance (women in
> groups) overcame another (men and sci-fi).
>
> Perhaps that adage should be more like: reading is NOT for boys
and math
> is NOT for girls, so feminist sci-fi is for NO traditional people.
>
> -- Joel VanLaven

I don't know what the figures look like in the US, but in the UK there is
currently mass panic in some quarters because girls are now beating
boys in the maths and science exams taken at 18 years old. And
guess what, the rhetoric is *not* about how wonderful it is that girls
are doing so well! Only a few more years to wait and it should all be
filtering through to the colleges.

Farah