Re: what do students read?

From: Lorie G Sauble-otto (lorie@U.ARIZONA.EDU)
Date: Fri Apr 25 1997 - 09:40:03 PDT

This is a problem I am currently working on, and I'd like some feedback.
Can we necessarily take Haraway's cyborg literally--all of the time? I'm
beginning to read it more as an identity, the postmodern identity and the
metaphore (a word which Haraway herself employs to describe her cyborg).
I think it's time to rethink exactly what she means by cyborg. We're
talking about two different things, the literal cyborg and the cyborg
identity which is far-reaching and shifting, border-blurring..... Is
Elisabeth Vonarburg's Elisa, in The Silent City, a cyborg? The body as
machine blurrs the distinctions between the actual cyborg creation and the
cyborg identity. What do you think?

lorie

Lorie Sauble-Otto
Dept. of French & Italian