Re: Science as sexist

From: Bonnie Gray (bgray@ECE.UCDAVIS.EDU)
Date: Tue Apr 29 1997 - 13:35:38 PDT

     Well, everybody seems to have an opinion on this, thought I'd add
my own humble opinion :)

     Basically, I agree with Farah and Tonya. I think "Hard SF" has
the same sexism that surrounds women entering "hard science" domains.
I really do think it's that simple (or that complex...). I think
that there is a certain amount of status surrounding hard SF, similar
to that which surrounds science and engineering. Speaking as a PhD
candidate in electrical engineering, I do have a clue about these
things.

     I, personally, have had a love-hate relationship with hard SF.
I love the science itself, but often dislike the stories surrounding
it, particularly the roles women often play (or fail to play...).
This was especially true of classic hard sf that I read growing up.
Much as I love the science of my profession, but dislike the
traditionally male ways that funding, good-old-boys-networking, and
posturing that goes on.

     To write good hard sf, you have to know about good hard science.
(And also be a good writer, of course!) If women are discouraged
for whatever reason out of these fields, it seems logical to me that
they would not write "hard" sf, either.

     Maybe I'm just over-simplifying things. Also, I hope I'm not
too far off the subject material of this server. I've only been on
it a week...

Bonnie

PS: Linda Nagata's "Bohr Maker" is a piece of "hard sf" written by a
female author that hasn't been mentioned yet. I'm not sure if it
classifies as "feminist sf", although it certainly has strong female
characters in it, both on the "good" and "bad" sides.