Re: hard/soft science, technology & cyborgs

From: farah mendlesohn (fm7@YORK.AC.UK)
Date: Thu May 01 1997 - 06:00:33 PDT

A great post from Helen, but a small quibble. I don't think Heinlein
*is* hard-sf. I think he has been claimed by the hard-sf-ers because
he is such a god-like figure, but the texts for which he is best
remembered: The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Beyond This Horizon,
Even Starship Troopers, are mainly concerned with the affect of
certain technologies on social structures and it is the social
structures on which he dwells most lavishly. Apart from the need for
higher maths and the ability to use a slide rule (which he thought
defined human intelligence) Heinlein is remarkably free of
technobabble.

farah.