Why so many dystopias?

From: Robin Gordon (gordonro@GOV.ON.CA)
Date: Thu May 01 1997 - 09:45:55 PDT

I think the tool of an sf dystopia is one of the most interesting ways to
explore political issues in fiction. Particularly in the modern age where
rapid change and an uncritical embrace of new technologies are a constant
presence (in the first world). Dystopias allow the author to explore a
new technology or political or social trend or change and say something
intelligent about it by extrapolating possible future consequences. It's
precisely because we, as a society, so seldom stop and exmine the
consequences of adopting new technologies, processes and social
conventions. A problem only enhanced by capitalisms needs to grow and
change and develop new products to create constantly evolving consumer
markets. Capitalism cares not for the consequences of its actions, nor do
militarism and imperialism. Dystopias can serve as an exagerrated picture
of our own world, and/or a clarion bell warning us of where we are headed.
Warnings we desperate need.

In addition to the books mentioned, I want to mention some of the classics
of dystopian literature: Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale, Orwell's 1984, and
Huxley's Brave New World.

Robin Gordon

"I am the wall with the womanly swagger."
Judy Grahn