help identifying story

From: Laura Quilter (lauramd@uic.edu)
Date: Sat May 03 1997 - 16:06:46 PDT

Many years ago (sometime in the early 80s) I read a short story in an
anthology. The premise was a near-future society (probably US) that had
evolved into a continuously warlike state. Women were kept in
convent-like schools, indoctrinated in nationalism and the necessity to
breed more cannon-fodder. The protagonist was one young woman, going
through this process. Does this ring any bells with anyone? I'd really
love to identify this story for the feminist-sf web pages ...

Laura M. Quilter / lauramd@uic.edu
Electronic Services Librarian
University of Illinois at Chicago
http://www.uic.edu/~lauramd/