(no subject)

From: Michelle Kendrick (kendrick@VANCOUVER.WSU.EDU)
Date: Fri May 09 1997 - 14:03:57 PDT

Hello,

I'm just joining your list -- so before I jump into the fray, let me
introduce myself. I'm an assistant professor of English at Washington
State Univeristy, Vancouver. My area is the cultural study of
technology. Specifically, I examine the relationship between technology
and subjectivity (identity). I teach in a new degree program here called
Electronic Communication and Culture, which explores (in part) the
social, educational, economic impact of new computer technologies.

I am writing to contribute (better late than never) to the science
studies thread. But more importantly, I am writing to ask permission....

This summer I am teaching a class on Women Writers. I've chosen to teach
women writing speculative fiction. My reading list includes:
Frankenstein, Herland, the Female Man, He, she, it and Slow River (by
Griffith). I'm also including short stories from the anthology _The
Lifted Veil: The book of Fantastic Literature by Women_ and _Women at
War_.

I have 19 students in the class (juniors and seniors) and I was hoping to
have them "lurk" on this list -- to see the kinds of issues, arguments,
discussions that educated individuals have on these topics. I didn't want
to do this, however, without asking "list" permission. I would, of
course, give them lessons in netiquete, and have them sign off the list
at the courses end.

Any comments? Worries? Advice?

Michelle

PS: On the science questions: I've grown a bit weary -- in studying the
"social studies of science and technology" of the reality vs social
constructivism debate. This is not to say that I do not recognize the
importance of examining _what_ it is that science does, and the important
impact of social issues, concerns, on science. Nor is it to say that I
believe Science tells us absolute truths, at all times.

I've grown weary of people dropping pencils (to illustrate the laws of
gravity) and saying, "explain THAT!). Sigh.

I think the most eloquent thing I've heard on the subject came from Bruno
Latour who when questioned about truth claims in science said, "I know
it's true; I want to know how its made."

Science "makes" truths. That is, it uncovers certain things in the
physical world and constructs narratives to make sense of those
discoveries. Not all narratives will hold up; and like all narratives,
they are susceptible to the ideologies of their times.

So while there is validity in questioning scientific narratives to
uncover the ideological assumptions buried within -- it is nonsense to
criticize all "Science" as inherently this or that (sexist or capitalist
or racist...).

Michelle R. Kendrick
Assistant Professor of English
Washington State University