Re: Help

From: Susan Mueller (ssmuell@UMSLVMA.UMSL.EDU)
Date: Sat May 17 1997 - 09:33:06 PDT

> I'm going to do a
>research on modern British fairy tale writers. Would be much obliged for
>any tips, advice, any info. about these authors, or hints where I might find

>Elena Zhigalina.

Hi, Elena,

I don't exactly have what you request, but I do have two suggestions that
might be peripherally helpful. One is a book entitled _The Uses of
Enchantment_ by Bruno Bettelheim. He discusses the value of traditional
fairy tales in a modern context. The other is a book by Jane Yolen. I
believe it was entitled _Briar Rose_ and was an update of the Sleeping
Beauty tale. Although she is primarily a children's writer, this book was
written for an adult audience. It was also one of a series of books by
various authors all of which were recasting traditional fairy tales into
modern settings.

 hope this is useful.

Sincerely,

Susan
Susan Mueller
English Department
University of Missouri - St. Louis
"In a world full of fugitives, the person taking the opposite direction will
appear to be running away."
                                 --T. S. Eliot