Frankenstein

From: Michelle Kendrick (kendrick@VANCOUVER.WSU.EDU)
Date: Thu May 22 1997 - 11:34:08 PDT

Hi,

I just had to enthuse, forgive me. Wow. I haven't read this book since
high school. And I'm teaching it this summer. It is fantastic -- and
since it is considered by some the first "science fiction" novel, I
encourage those of you who haven't read it in a while to do so now.

It is fascinating to read "back" to Frankenstein after reading all the
cyborg lit of late. Mary Shelley captures much of the mystery,
complexity, ethical issues, that proport to be "new" to science --
cloning, technology, creating "life forms" in the laboratory.

And there is a strong feminist subtext related to the powers of
creation (it takes victor about 9 months to make his monster), the
responsibility of childrearing, illegitmacy....

Anyways, I have been really captivated by this text. Do read it if its
been awhile!

Michelle

Michelle R. Kendrick
Assistant Professor of English