Re: Your first SF/F Novel

From: Denise Borgen (borgen@ESKIMO.COM)
Date: Tue May 27 1997 - 17:40:16 PDT

On Fri, 23 May 1997, farah mendlesohn wrote:

> On Tue, 20 May 1997 11:17:04 -0400 Anastasia McPherson wrote:
>
> > How about Podkayne of Mars by Heinlein? My grandfather gavie it
> to me
> > when I was about 10 - I didnt realize how sexist it was at the time
> but I
> > still loved it.
> >
> > Tasia
>

> I never really got grabbed by this book, I am not sure why as I love
> almost all Heinlein ever wrote. Farah

I think this was the first one for me also, my sister gave it to me when I
ran out of mythology books to read at the library. Obviously I liked it,
becuase I proceeded to read everything by Heinlein I could find, then I
discovered there were other authors. I was pretty much oblivious to a
character's gender at the time but now I tend to think of Heinlein as a
man of his time. He came to adulthood in the 20's, when you look at it
that way, his attitudes towards women were way ahead of his time. There
are those who seem to think of him as a larger than life figure and then
get disappointed to find out that he wasn't right about everything.

~ Denise M. Borgen ~ If man is only a little lower ~
~ borgen@eskimo.com ~ than the angels, then the ~
~ ~ angels should reform ~