Genderless women and non-sexual lesbians

From: Joel VanLaven (jvl@OCSYSTEMS.COM)
Date: Wed May 28 1997 - 09:23:29 PDT

  Why aren't there genderless women anymore? you ask. I think that you
will find that genderless women and non-sexual lesbians have fell by the
wayside for a very important reason.

  Most of the "bad guys" (the sexist, anti-gay people :) (probably some
of the "good guys" too) have ignored the sex and/or sexual orientation of
characters when it wasn't shoved in their face.

  Melissa Scott said at WisCon this year that she had consiously added sex
(lesbian sex) to her stories so that readers couldn't ignore the sexuality
of her characters. Apparently it is not enough to say that a character is
a lesbian (or a woman). The fact must be driven home with sex and/or
gendered female characters.

  Note that the non-gendered, non-sexual characters may be better for we,
the chosen, or coverted ones :) However I think we are seeing a complex
compromise of writers and readers.

-- Joel VanLaven