Re: All-Female Societies

From: Lindy S. L. Lovvik (laorka@BEST.COM)
Date: Sat May 31 1997 - 10:15:27 PDT

Pamela Bedore wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm fairly new to this list, (and enjoying it greatly) and I hope I'm not
> repeating material.
>
> I just read Leona Gom's -The Y Chromosome- and found it fascinating. I'm
> interested in reading other novels or papers (not necessarily sci fi)
> dealing with all-female societies.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Pamela Bedore
> Queen's University

Sally Gearhart's *The Wanderground* is one of my favorite
books about an all-women society. Last I heard, Ms. Gearhart
was working as a professsor at SF State University. I saw
her at a women's studies conference in Fresno in the early
90's sharing a discussion with Sonia Johnson, who is laboring
to build the culture Ms. Gearhart portrays in *The Wanderground.*
It was a fascinating talk.

BTW, I've been lurking on and enjoying this list for some time,
without having anything to contribute (until now). I have been
collecting titles for my ever-growing reading list from suggestions
included my other list participants. Thanks!

Gearhart, Sally. 1979. *The Wanderground.* Boston: Alyson.
ISBN 0-932870-55-4.

Lindy Lovvik
laorka@best.com
http://www.best.com/~laorka