Re: And the course winds up...

From: Shana Yunger (yunger@IFU.NET)
Date: Thu Jun 12 1997 - 16:02:42 PDT

>2. Their surprising puritan streak. I thought it would be the lesbian sex
>that would provoke outrage and I was ready to deal with that. But they
>objected to all the depictions of graphic sex (geez, I use to *take*
>courses based on the steamy sex scenes in the novels). They just didn't
>want explicit anyone rubbing on anyone. They took a position of -- what I
>believe to be) psuedo-tolerance, articulated something like this, "I
>don't care what anyone does in their bedroom, just don't make me read
>about it." I found it difficult to challenge (and I did try) that "don't
>ask, don't tell" philosophy.

        I'd like to respond to that. Personally, I don't want to have steamy
sex scenes in the novels that I read. I like a lot of science fiction and I
think it ruins to the story to graphically describe the scenes. yes, it's
part of life and books should reflect that. However, I feal that the kind of
depictions really take away from the impact of the book.

        Shana