Elisabeth Vonarburg

From: joanna goltzman (jgoltzma@IX.NETCOM.COM)
Date: Sun Jun 15 1997 - 19:16:03 PDT

Michelle Kendrick wrote:

>I just finished teaching my summer course on women writers -- I focused
>on women writing speculative fiction. The books we read were:
>Frankenstein, Herland, The Female Man, Slow River and He, She, and It.

I take it Slow River is by Nicola Griffith. Who wrote He, She, and It?

I recently finished Elisabeth Vonarburg's Reluctant Voyagers. I was a bit
disappointed with it. Athana was an interesting character in that she is a
young female "diety" who needs advice from Catherine, someone she "created."
Catherine, herself, is a strong character who can take care of herself
sexually and physically. I enjoyed Catherine, but I got impatient with her
two lesbian friends and her two gay male friends. These couples seemed like
token characters except for Charles-Henri, one of the gay men, who had a
bigger role in the book than just "gay man."

I've heard that Vonarburg's In the Mothers' Land--also published as
Maerlande Chronicles--is a great book.

I'd be interested in responses to either book.

Joanna