Re: Anita Blake and Strong series women

From: Stephanie Clarkson (thespian@EARTHLINK.NET)
Date: Mon Jun 23 1997 - 20:46:08 PDT

Oh, wow. I hadn't had a chance to look at the stuff from this list for a
while (like, since subscribing last week). Part of that was because I
spent this weekend absorbed in the latest Anita Blake book, picked up on my
regular friday night bookstore run (I've gotten predictable; the bookstore
person who got me hooked on Tanya Huff's books after I hooked *her* on
Anita Blake actually takes her dinner after I visit because she likes
talking about books with me so much ;-)

I wasn't sure whether it would fit on this list though; thanks for bringing
it up. I'm terribly disappointed by the turns that the latest book takes;
but I've just decided that whichever male Anita ends up with at the end of
a book, it's invariably *not* going to be the one that I spent the book
hoping for. Ever. I've switched preferences back and forth between
Richard and Jean-Claude and each time she always goes the other way.
Yeargh. The latest book also raised a few problems for me; I found Anita's
reactions towards the end to be contradictory to a lot of her personality
the way she's been set up. I don't want to spoil it yet because it is
pretty new still, but....I just found myself unable to accept how the book
ends. it *doesn't* fit with everything else about Anita.

My other current problem is that apparently, all the books from the first
one to the current one take place in slightly under a year. It's too much
action for one life, and I'm pretty sure if you work it out Anita is *not*
getting enough recovery time between each adventure to heal fully, no
matter how much vampiric attention she gets.

Anita Blake books satisfy the need for potboiler books for me; I want
something high strung, emotional but not involving; they're great weekend
books for me, when I want to unwind, let stuff go, and just enjoy a good,
tough woman character, a lot of sexual tension, a little mystery and a neat
alternate world.

>> (LH has said that
>> >one of the reasons why she created Anita was because female detectives in
>> >stories never got to kill as many people as their male counterparts did.)

I really dislike the way she's handling the body count, though. I don't
think Anita should be becoming quite so cold-blooded (see above notes about
the timespan of the story here). It's too rapid, and it loses
believability points for me.

>> Of interest in a similar vein (heh heh) I might suggest Tanya Huff's
>> "Blood" books. Just read the first one in Seattle last weekend, and thought
>> it was pretty good entertainment.

More favourite books. And, as a canadian, I must say it pleases me to see
books based in Canada selling. For so long they told Canadian writers not
to bother, people wouldn't read them. Like a book set in Toronto is going
to be any Different from one set in New York to most of the world. It
doesn't matter if it's a good story.

>> >On a related rant, why aren't the strong female characters ever allowed to
>> >live?

<SPOILER FOR BOTH BLOOD* AND ANITA BLAKE BOOKS>

We don't have any worry about that for Anita or Vicki for that now, do we? ;-)

</SPOILER>

 Tasha Yar was written out early in the series, and other characters
>> >in other popular movies that were seen as strong are all dead by the end
>> >credits. (Thelma and Louise and Catwoman come to mind)

Uhm. Considering they're planning a Catwoman movie with Pfieffer, I'd not
count her as dead.

Stephanie.

Never one to be short winded ;-) Oh, and hi. I'm new ;-)

 |\/| ---- _ Stephanie M. Clarkson..............thespian@sleepingcat.com
=(--)=_____ \ Web Designer, Programmer, Developer.....www.sleepingcat.com
c___ (______/ PRGrrl, www.trianglewebgrrls.com..............www.chiya.com