Re: Neveryona

From: Nalo Hopkinson (bl213@FREENET.TORONTO.ON.CA)
Date: Fri Jun 27 1997 - 20:11:17 PDT

NH: Got my headlines mixed up. I thought you were the one who had found
_Neveryona_ "dreadfully plodding." I love it unreservedly. The Tale of
Old Venn (if that's what it's indeed called) taught me some invaluable
things about money and what it stands for, and the reasons why you should
never mistake a mirror image for an accurate representation of the actual
thing. Not to mention how easy it is to look at a society from outside it
and completely misunderstand its power structures. None of which sounds
exciting, but the way that Delany wrote it turned my crank, I can tell
you.

-nalo

On Fri, 27 Jun 1997, Anne V Stuecker wrote:

> Nalo -
>
> Thanks for the referral, but why "unfortunately"? Is there something
> dreadfully wrong with this _Neveryona_ series so that everyone dislikes
> it?
>
> Anne Stuecker <avs5@juno.com> Washington, DC, USA
>
> On Fri, 27 Jun 1997 11:34:51 -0400 Nalo Hopkinson
> <bl213@FREENET.TORONTO.ON.CA> writes:
> >On Thu, 26 Jun 1997, Anne V Stuecker wrote:
> >
> >> Tell me more about each of these. I'm looking to read more Delaney,
> >>and I'd especially like to find some extreme examples of feminist
> >>ecotopia in his work.
> >
> >NH: Unfortunately, I'd say then that the Neveryona series is the one
> >you want. Forget which one in the series, but I think you're looking
> for
> >a chapter with a name like "The Tale of Old Venn." Also the title where
> >the character of Raven shows up, the woman dressed in black who
> >carries a double-edged knife, and who calls the land where she finds
> herself
> >"this strange and terrible place."

"He walked so far/On stilts of songs, of masqueraded story, that the
stars/Were near."
                -Kamau Brathwaite, "Jou'vert"