Re: Good Delaney

From: Michael Marc Levy (levymm@UWEC.EDU)
Date: Sun Jun 29 1997 - 21:57:37 PDT

Delany has gotten progressively harder to read as the years have gone
by. His two award winning novels, both early, are Babel-17 and The
Einstein Intersect. Both are superbly written, full of neat ideas, and
just a little bit pulpy. The slightly later Nova is similar and
excellent. Dhalgren is very long, wonderfully well written, full of neat
characters, but virtually plotless. Triton, recently reprinted as Trouble
on Triton, is the closest Delany gets to utopian fiction and quite well
done as well. I find the later fiction, Stars in my Pocket like Grains
of Sand, the Neveryona books, They Fly at Chiron, much slower going,
although many peoply who I respect love Stars in my Pocket. He also wrote
a number of outstanding short stories which have been collected in
Driftglass and one or two other collections.

Mike

Michael M. Levy levym@uwstout.edu
Department of English levymm@uwec.edu
University of Wisconsin-Stout off. ph: 715-834-6533
Menomonie, WI 54751 hm. ph: 715-834-6533