Feminism to me, is...

From: Brigid Venables. (9309629n@MAGPIE.MAGILL.UNISA.EDU.AU)
Date: Mon Jul 07 1997 - 00:06:24 PDT

For me (another one of the 'bottom line' club members, I think), feminism
has assumed a wide variety of meanings, from 'equality to all', to a
brief phase where I genuinely believed women were superior to men (very
embarrassing) to ... how can I put it ... the ability to manufacture a
genuinely ambivalent, hybrid narrative - that's really quite awkwardly
put, and I'm not sure how to clarify it: I'm fascinated by the 'science
fiction' narratives of Margaret Cavendish - not that you'd call this
feminist science fiction (but it is science fiction, right?)(right???).
As a librarian I like to locate things in neat categories - never easy,
rarely possible, but we dream ... we dream! In my writing, I use my
understanding of feminist philosophy to construct unusual gender
identities - not always flattering to either women or men, but rarely
boring - at least, not to me. Feminism has opened up a world of
possibilites (once I stopped viewing it as a closed philosophy) - I hope
others share my optimism!

On another subject altogether, I have never seen Babylon 5: I live in
Australia and, while it has been on our television, it turned up near
midnight, and seemed to vanish as quickly as it appeared. (Unlike XENA -
God bless that warrior princess, we just can't get enough of her down
under ). Is it worthwhile
contacting buddies in the U.K toi get tapes sent over?
Regards-
Brigid Venables.