Re: Any Sheri Tepper fans out there

From: Edrie J Sobstyl (esobstyl@UTDALLAS.EDU)
Date: Tue Jul 08 1997 - 11:02:42 PDT

        Since everyone else is de-lurking, and since Tepper fandom is
on the table:

        I'm an assistant professor of philosophy, specializing in
feminist science criticism. I'm a very big fan of Tepper's (although
also a fan of Butler, Griffith, Slonczewski, Le Guin, and a score of
others, Tepper's my number one favourite). I'm a displaced Canadian,
living and working in Texas, where I am constantly judged to be a
godless communist - an image I do nothing to dispel!

        I have a big fat grey tabby cat called Dennis; I have
struggled, and am struggling, in my work with a philosophical grand
assumption - that getting the argument right matters, and that if
feminists can manage to get their arguments right, then things will
change for women. I probably believed this at one time, early in my
graduate career, but I no longer do.

         I used Tepper's _Gate to Women's
Country_ in my dissertation because I was so struck by its power to
persuade without resorting to the usual forms of philosophical
discourse. Its subversiveness also appealed to me. I'm currently doing
more work on the book, which doesn't especially go over well in
professional philosophy; I am fortunate to be in an interdisciplinary
program where I can explore such "unorthodox" material. I'm also
fortunate to have a Dean who's a big science fiction fan!

        I agree that Tepper's novels sometimes tend to be a little too
bombastic in their politics. However, I compare her work mentally to
earlier efforts, such as Gilman's _Herland_, which is marred by pages
and pages of excruciatingly dull, didactic speeches, and I find Tepper
to be pretty low-key by contrast. I *loved* _Gibbon's_, and agree that
it was one of her recent best. I also agree that perfection would make
her much less fun to read, and to work with/on!

        Finally, about the list itself - it's been a treasure in terms
of reading list suggestions, and it's great to have participation by
the authors themselves. Nicola, I hope you don't get "too famous" for
us!

Edrie Sobstyl
School of Arts and Humanities
University of Texas at Dallas
P.O. Box 830688 Richardson Tx 75083-0688
(972) 883-2365
(972) 883-2989 (fax)