Re: Birth Control Books

From: SMCharnas (suzych@HIGHFIBER.COM)
Date: Thu Jul 10 1997 - 13:27:40 PDT

At 6:22 AM 7/10/97, Petra Mayerhofer wrote:
>On 9 Jul 97 , Michael Marc Levy wrote:
>
>> Rather than center on birth control per se, the tendency is to
>> center on either infertility, The Handmaid's Tale, or mystery-writer
>> P.D. James's SF novel of a few years back (I forget the name), lack
>
>The title of P.D. James's SF novel is 'The Children of Men'. In my
>opinion the starting-point of the novel is great, but the plot and
>the ending are very weak.

I can't say that I've read it -- I stopped reading James when I realized
that in a preponderance of her mystery novels the murder hinged on some
awful woman having had (gasp!) an abortion because she just couldn't be
bothered raising a child. I did skim THE CHILDREN OF MEN, and it seemed
to me to run true to form at least to this extent: the climax/ending was
the resumption of human procreation (after a hiatus for reasons I don't
recall) with the birth of -- GUESS WHAT? -- a son.

Naturally.

Suzy

unless, of course, I am remembering it wrong and have described some other
book --