Re: Letting students listen in, was Re: So who is on this list?

From: Kate Bolin (kbolin@MAILHOST.TCS.TULANE.EDU)
Date: Fri Jul 11 1997 - 15:57:53 PDT

Getting students more and more online is the new buzz-word here at the
Center for Research on Women. It's why we got a nifty grant to buy us a
well-stocked computer lab (something that a techie like me drools over).

I tend to think that part of the reason why more feminist science fiction
isn't being created is because girls are still taught at an early age that
technology is a "boys-only world". I mean, look at a lot of feminist
science fiction that is out there. From what I've read, it's very
low-tech. A lot of primitive colonies, a lot of ecologically-based
"natural" habitats, etc.
It's almost as if feminist science fiction writers are continuing the
stereotype of technology being a male field by making their works as
technologically incapable.

Maybe it's just what I've seen. Our Center's library is notorious for
rarely adding new books...

kate Bolin
Who's just looking for some good feminist cyberpunk
      "A keyboard may be a better equalizer than a Glock .45, but I still
        prefer the .45"
                Kate Bolin http://studentweb.tulane.edu/~kbolin
                     Founder of Delenn Deserves Better!!