Re: Margaret Cavendish

From: Michael Marc Levy (levymm@UWEC.EDU)
Date: Mon Jul 14 1997 - 08:07:23 PDT

On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, Tanya Wood wrote:

> Dear Prof. Levy,
>
> Reviewing your comments on Margaret Cavendish, I'd just like to
> quibble! The Duke and Duchess of Newcastle did not support the Puritains,
> nor did they do nicely in the civil war.

Dear Tanya,

Quibbles are certainly acceptable and even wholesale disagreement when
you've obviously got a much more secure hold on the facts than I do, my
ideas about Cavendish being based on work done back in the late 1970s and
early 1980s, mostly before the current serious interest in her work.

My dissertation is entitled The Transformations of Oberon: The Uwe of
Fairies in Seventeenth-Century Literature. The abstract appears in
Dissertation Abstracts International Vol 43, No. 1, 1982. The order number
is DA82 14002P. It was from the U of Minnesota.

If you find it, I'd be interested in hearing your opinion.

Mike Levy