Re: Birth Control Books

From: Laura Wigod (laura@OAKRIDGE.COM)
Date: Mon Jul 14 1997 - 12:41:48 PDT

>One thing I found odd in Mitchison's 'Solution Three'
>when reflecting on it recently, was that she assumed (possibly as part of the
>'thought experiment' she was making) that by promoting same-sex love as
>society's ideal desires for parenthood would vanish except among the small
>remaining group of recalcitrant heterosexuals.

Odd, indeed! Considering how many homosexual couples I know are either
procreating or wishing they could! :-D

Personally, my decision not to have more children (I have one Incredible
Son) is purely an economical one. If I won the lottery, I'd pop out at
least a dozen! No shit. I've always wanted a large family, largely
(haha), I believe, because of the horrificly abusive nightmarish violent
childhood I had. One of the (many) things that got me through it was
fantasizing about the kind of parent _I_ was going to be, and, which, I can
say, most happily, I now am. Giving my son all the love and attention and
fun and nurturing I never got is the Single Most Healing Experience of my
entire life! I feel that giving him the childhood he's getting balances
out my own experience somehow.

As I am now 35 (today actually!), I don't foresee that I'll have any more
biological children (technically, I'm bisexual, and I have serious doubts
about finding a man who could meet all my needs, making the prospect of
having another bio-child that much more remote). However, I _do_ see
myself as a foster mom when I hit 50 or so (after I've had _my_ turn
backpacking through Europe in my 40s, something I missed out on having a
baby so young....).

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that the decision to have more children
goes beyond social, cultural and economic reasons and encompasses the
deeply personal.

Laura