Re: Birth Control Books

From: SMCharnas (suzych@HIGHFIBER.COM)
Date: Tue Jul 15 1997 - 20:00:07 PDT

At 2:39 AM 7/15/97, Anny Middon wrote:

>To put this firmly on-topic, has any sf been written that utilizes the
>inability of undernourished women to conceive?

Well, drat, I probably *should* have in WALK TO THE END OF THE WORLD --
although unless I had gone on to "explain" that this factor had led to
the propagation of women who had a higher tolerance for undernourishment
and so could still conceive, I would have had to have junked the whole
story, since most likely there wouldn't have been any Holdfast people!

Does anybody know if the Ik people, who were written about years ago as
living in conditions as close to total starvation as exist anywhere,
still do exist, and if so how they have coped with/gotten around/managed
to keep their numbers up in spite of being starved all the time, if indeed
they have? The book was a sensation, and then nothing was ever heard
again about these victims of a government program that had uprooted them
from their lands and forcibly settled them someplace else where they
literally could not produce any food for themselves (at least that's how
I remember the story -- it was years ago now, a true horror story).

Suzy