Re: Different but Equal ???

From: Lesley Hall (Lesley_Hall@msn.com)
Date: Tue Jul 22 1997 - 12:07:43 PDT

I think I may have missed a stage in this debate....
<< For some ungodly reason, some "feminists" have tried to
 find differences between men and women. There have been books and
 television shows about "the differences between men and women" that have
 been given tacit approval by such feminists and their work. >>

There's a long-standing tradition of feminists trying to re-deploy existing
debates about difference for their own benefit: e.g. in the C19th, some
campaigners for the suffrage argued that if women *were* that different from
men, how could men (as politicians claimed) truly represent women in the
political process? Some campaigners inverted the terms of the 'difference'
debates, so that women's very differences made them superior. It's a rather
dodgy strategy, and closer study of earlier debates show women using both
equality and difference tactics/strategies. Both are important: why should men
be assumed to be the norm to which women have to conform? what is true
equality?
Lesley
Lesley_Hall@msn.com