Re: suggestions for teaching a short course...

From: Jen Hill (jh85@CORNELL.EDU)
Date: Mon Aug 04 1997 - 05:54:16 PDT

Dan (and everyone else who has been kind enough to respond!) --

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm busy checking all of them out and will let
you know what I choose and how it fits.

I think I didn't do such a hot course description on the list because I
didn't want to bore... while we'll be reading primary texts, we will
contextualize and counterpoint them with recent work by Evelyn Fox Keller,
Londa Schiebinger, Sandra Harding, and others. And since this is a freshman
writing course, we'll be doing a lot with how language functions re:
gender, epistemology, etc. The late 19th/early 20th c. women in science
section is designed to take advantage of Cornell's archives and teach
research skills -- Cornell was the first US institution to grant science
PhDs to women and they have a great collection of stuff from early students
and female faculty. I expect my students to be primarily female engineering
and science majors... and this will be one of the very few seminars they
will take at college. In addition to teaching them certain interpretive
models and getting them to think about issues, I want to provide a space
where students can come to terms with their own identities as "scientific
women".

The Wright, etc. is a good suggestion... and I am compiling a a
bibiliography for further readings. I'd appreciate any other suggestions.
The good thing is that if any of these kids get hooked on this stuff,
Cornell has a terrific Science & Technology (history/theory of science)
Studies program and they can go on and learn much more.

Thanks again.
Jen