Two reviews

From: Maryelizabeth Hart (mystgalaxy@AX.COM)
Date: Thu Aug 07 1997 - 19:05:58 PDT

The Moon and the Sun by Vonda McIntyre

  Pocket Books, $23.00.

  I don't use the word "compelling" often or lightly, but I
  found The Moon and the Sun compelling reading. Set in the
  court of Louis XIV, the Sun King, in a history which may or
  may not have been our own, McIntyre spins a tale of a king's
  quest for immortality and the "sea monsters" he looks to for
  the answers. A voyage to capture a sea monster yields both a
  deceased male and a live female, which are brought back to
  the court and the subject of studies to find a mystical
  organ granting immortality, directed by a young Jesuit
  priest. Admiring the "beasts" is all the rage, but no one
  but the priest's sister understands that these are sentient
  creatures, and that killing and eating them is tantamount to
  cannibalism. What drives this story is Marie's struggle to
  save her king from himself, in a court where perhaps the
  only creature with less power and position is the sea
  monster herself. McIntyre's vivid descriptions of court life
  and its excesses give the book both a fairy tale quality and
  a firm grounding in reality. Signed bookplates available
  while supplies last.

  --MeH

  The Misconceiver by Lucy Ferriss

  Simon & Schuster, $22.95.

  Comparisons to Margaret Atwood's Handmaid's Tale are
  inevitable, but this work stands on its own, not as an
  imitation. In the not-too-distant future, when the pendulum
  of reproductive rights has swung far back in the other
  direction from our current status, there is still a
  profession of women who bill themselves as "misconceivers."
  In a world without contraceptives, sexual harrassment laws,
  or protaction from incestuous abuse, these women continue
  their work in defiance of the law. What made this book work
  for me was that the main character, Phoebe, was not driven
  by politics, saving this from being a polemic. Instead,
  Phoebe is a misconceiver because her sister and her mother
  both were, and Phoebe saw the relief in the eyes of the
  women who came to them. A frightening and important book.

  --MeH

Maryelizabeth
Mysterious Galaxy 619-268-4747
3904 Convoy St, #107 800-811-4747