Fantasy as facile: was Re: fantasy, was Fifth Sacred Thing

From: Michael Marc Levy (levymm@UWEC.EDU)
Date: Fri Aug 08 1997 - 07:35:56 PDT

> >> Easy: it's fantasy, not science fiction.
> >
> > I think we just found the answer to everything. What do you
> >think? ;)
> >
> >Kate Bolin
>
> Does this mean that fantasy should just be quickly dismissed as facile? (I
> assume it's OK to discuss fantasy, since it's in the title description of
> the list).

Of course not. Much fantasy, although enjoyable, is lightweight and
facile, but then so is much science fiction. There's nothing facile about
Sheri Tepper's Beauty, John Crowley's Little Big, Michael Swanwick's The
Iron Dragon's Daughter, Pat Hodgell's Godstalk, Elizabeth Hand's Waking the
Moon, Mary Gentle's Rats and Gargoyles, Peter Beagle's The Innkeeper's
Song, Terri Windling's The Wood Wife, or for that matter, her anthology
The Armless Maiden, just to name a few personal favorites.

Mike Levy