Re: utopias, was Fifth Sacred Thing

From: schant (schant@SCHANT.DEMON.CO.UK)
Date: Mon Aug 11 1997 - 05:53:31 PDT

Holly Yasui wrote:

> Joan Slonczewski in "A Door Into Ocean" has an interesting resolution for
> dealing with infractions of the society's mores: "unspeaking" (socially
> isolating) the individual. This, however, assumes that the individual cares
> about community and is thus deeply affected, and is nonviolent and so
> doesn't just force her way back in. It also seems to me that in Le Guin's
> "The Dispossessed" there's an insightful solution, but I don't have the
> book with me and can't recall the details.

Didn't they undergo regular "self-criticism" sessions like those of the
Chinese marxist revolution, where they criticised themselves and each
other? I seem to remember she did more-or-less the reverse in "Always
Coming Home" where the social misfit would be surrounded by members of
the community all saying good things about them.

--
"Take what you want", said God. "Take it - and pay for it."
        Old Spanish proverb,