Re: utopias/A Door Into Ocean

From: Allen Briggs (briggs@PUMA.MACBSD.COM)
Date: Mon Aug 11 1997 - 09:39:12 PDT

> wasn't it considered a great accomplishment to outlive one's name,
> reserved to a very few (or maybe everyone, eventually) revered elders?

I do remember it being mentioned. In fact, I think it was said that if
you outlived your name quickly enough, it wasn't a good/challenging
enough name. I don't recall any specifics, though. Of course, it was
a great accomplishment to outlive one's name, but I don't think that
it was something that happened for everyone. I also think that it
seemed to be something that everyone tried for but few expected to ever
achieve.

> A fine book (Door Into Ocean). I have noticed that the second
> book (Daughters of Elysium (spelling?)) has received some flack.
> I actually read that one first, and I liked it almost as much
> as Door Into Ocean.

I liked them both alot. Each one had its strengths and weaknesses,
though. _Daughters_ is certainly more complex, but _Door_ has much
more about the Sharers.

-allen

--
              Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com