Re: [*FSFFU*] Event Horizon

From: exit (BATE@MACC.WISC.EDU)
Date: Wed Aug 27 1997 - 16:15:00 PDT

>From: IN%"FEMINISTSF@LISTSERV.UIC.EDU" "For discussion of feminist SF, fantastic & utopian literature"
>To: FEMINISTSF@LISTSERV.UIC.EDU
>Subject: Re: Event Horizon
>
>On Mon, 25 Aug 1997, Janice E. Dawley wrote:
>
>> At 11:17 AM 8/25/97 -0500, Sean Johnston wrote:
>> >I found it refreshing, looking back, that Quinlan's character had the
>> >nightmare she did because it's only natural that the thing a mother would
>> >be most concerned with would be her kids (especially considering what
>> >happened to her kids), regardless of her job.
>>
>> I will restrain myself to one comment: is it also "only natural" that a
>> father be most concerned with his kids, regardless of his job?
>>
>> -- Janice
>
>NH: Yes, it would have been better to say that a *parent* might be more
>concerned with his/her kid. But I read Sean as implying something of the
>sort when he continued the thought by musing about whether or not the
>captain was a father. It was Sean, wasn't it?
>

>-nalo

I haven't actually seen the movie and, since I don't like horror, I don't
intend to, so keep that in mind. But my problem is not so much with a parent
being more concerned with their kids than their job, but rather with the
fact that yet again, the character chosen to be a parent is a woman. Why
not give the captain kids and have the doctor not be a parent? Or better
yet, make the captain a childless woman and the doctor a father?

Gabby