[*FSFFU*] the question of aesthetics

From: Erik Tsao (etsao@CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU)
Date: Thu Aug 28 1997 - 11:00:21 PDT

This post is actually addressed to all of the novelists on the list (but
not exclusive of others). I've been doing a good deal of reading this
summer in preparation for my qualifying exams this coming Spring. In that
rather heavy dose of lit. crit and theory, the following question popped
into my mind:

To what extent does the concerns for "literariness" (a loaded term, I
realize) enter into the writings of science-fiction, fantasy, and horror
writers (both men and women)? How much does politics alone enter into the
act of writing such a novel? How does that connect up to the politics of
feminist sf/fantasy/utopia? In other words, what would a feminist
aesthetics, or poetics, of sf/fantasy/utopian fiction look like?

I'm very interested in hearing people's responses to this set of questions.

Erik

Erik Tsao
Graduate Student
Department of English
Wayne State University
Detroit, MI

"Penciled purples in the daylit dreams
 wore wool humid and apology bright
 letters in the doorway, arabic at the edges
 the colors of science turned jagged at his cease"

--From "HPL" by Clark Coolidge