Re: [*FSFFU*] GI Jane

From: Sean Johnston (sean-johnston@UIOWA.EDU)
Date: Wed Sep 03 1997 - 13:36:57 PDT

>------------------------------
>>Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 11:49:45 -0500
>>From: MARINA YERESHENKO <my0203@BRONCHO.UCOK.EDU>
>>Subject: Re: Mimic (! some spoilage)
>[snip about Mimic]
>>I wonder if anyone saw G.I.Jane. It's not a science fiction (I hope!),
>>but it's a good movie. Of course, I like violent action movies in general,
>>which a lot of people on the list don't. I just think that women have a
>>right to be as agressive as men, if they want to, and can enjoy "blowing
>>up a ship" just as much.
>>However, there were some funny things about the movie:
>>
>>1. I don't think anyone else but Demi Moore would get away with this (nor
>>with all the other things she's done, from the naked pregnant picture in
>>Vanity Fair in 80's to the Striptease movie). If it was someone like
>>Geena Davis, or simply a single woman actress, there would be a lot of
>>screaming in the audience about man-hating and stuff like that. However, no
>>one would mess with Bruce Willis's wife. It seems that if you got the right
>>man, you can do whatever you want. Still, it's better than nothing.
>
>Actually, I thought Demi Moore was strikingly miscast...I didn't think she
>looked tough enough, even with the muscles, to be a plausible SEAL. I don't
>think she looked mentally tough enough for the role, either -- I can't think
>of many actresses that could pull it off, maybe Angela Basset, Sigourney
>Weaver (although she's too old for the part), or that woman who played in the
>Terminator movies. With the shaved head, she looked like she was ready to
>star in the "Sinead O'Connor Story" -- not like a trained killer.

The Terminator terminator was/is Linda Hamilton, co-star (with Pierce
Brosnan) of a great movie called _Dante's Peak_, a sort of anti-disaster
movie in that it's focus is not so much on the volcano that's about to blow
but on the people of the town at the base of the volcano w/Hamilton as the
mayor.

-Sean