[*FSFFU*] review: THE MISCONCEIVER Lucy Ferriss

From: Laura Quilter (lquilter@IGC.APC.ORG)
Date: Sun Sep 07 1997 - 13:37:29 PDT

Just read this book. Thought I would alert the group to it. (My short
review of it below.) If anyone else has read it and would like to add
another review or commentary to the feminist-sf web pages let me know.
(Or on any other work or author, of course.)

Lucy Ferriss. The Misconceiver New York: Simon & Schuster, 1997.
        This thoughtful work explores a possible (and unfortunately not at
al improbable) near future in which the "Coalition" (read: Christian
Coalition) has engineered an overturn of Roe v. Wade, making birth control
and abortion ("misconception") difficult or illegal for white women to
obtain. (Ferriss has clearly observed the not-too-subtle racism in the
right wing's simultaneous campaigns against both "welfare mothers" and
abortion.) An intense exploration of a very possible future in which
women's lives and opportunities are constrained by religious dogma and
state power, this novel has been compared to Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale.
Ferriss is also the author of several other works which I haven't read,
but The Misconceiver will place her on my list of authors for which to
watch.

(review by lq from the feminist-sf web pages)

Laura Quilter / lquilter@igc.apc.org

"If I can't dance, I don't want to be
in your revolution." -- Emma Goldman

         FREE MUMIA ABU-JAMAL