Re: [*FSFFU*] New Female Identities (was average heights of women and men, which was GI Jane)

From: Lindy S. L. Lovvik (laorka@BEST.COM)
Date: Thu Sep 11 1997 - 09:29:11 PDT

Michael Marc Levy wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Nalo Hopkinson wrote:
>
> > I was raised
> > in the tropics, where we had the option of going barefoot a lot of the
> > time. As a result, if I drop something, I'm as likely to pick it up with
> > my toes as to bend over and use my hands. But the first time a Canadian
> > friend saw me do that, she was absolutely bowled over. Huge
> > generalisation, I know, but she figured she simply had spent so much time
> > in shoes that she hadn't figured out how to move her toes.
> >
> > -nalo
>
> I don't know, I've lived my entire life in the upper midwest of the
> United States, but I pick things up with my toes all the time. Of course
> everyone I know thinks it's weird.
>
> Perhaps a survey is in order. How many people on this list...
>
> Mike

Using one's toes and feet reminds me of the Feline-type beings in
"Uhura's Song" by Jane Kagan. Yes. . A star trek book. Forgive me.

There are two groups of these beings and they have been separated
for about 2,000 years. They both have prehensile tails. One group
believes that utilizing one's tail for anything other than decorative
uses is equivalent to picking one's nose in public. The other group
uses the tail for swinging, showing affection, picking fruit. . .

I vote for using every appendage we have. Toes and feet are more than
just things to walk upon. Imagine, wasting a perfectly good prehensile
tail. . .

Lindy

E.S. This really is a fun book. I love the characters, for whom
      I read it over and over. . .I need to visit them every-so-often.

E.E.S. Yes. I use my feet and toes to manipulate objects.

--
If you can't say anything nice. . . come right over here and sit by me!

http://www.best.com/~laorka