Re: [*FSFFU*] Judith Merril (fwd)

From: Steve Swartz (sts@AA.NET)
Date: Sun Sep 14 1997 - 01:48:57 PDT

At 01:42 AM 9/14/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm sorry to hear of the passing of Ms. Merril. And I mean to sound
>ignorant, but could someone please give me some of the titles of the
>books that she has written? I don't remember having read her and I
>would like to remedy that as soon as I can. Thank you in advance to
>anyone that can help me.

Judith published very little fiction after 1960. Her story "That Only a
Mother" is quite famous. Her short fiction has been collected several times,
notably in a 1976 Warner "The Best of Judith Merril" and a 1985 "Judith
Merril Omnibus". I believe this is her best work.

Her first novel, "Shadow on the Hearth" (1950), is a remarkable story of
nuclear holocaust, told from the point of view of a housewife. You can often
find "The Tomorrow People" (1960) in bookstores.

Judith was most influential as an editor and anthologist. She put out 12
"year's best" anthologies from 1956-1967. She was one of the preeminent
"New Wave" anthologists, widening the scope of the genre by drawing stories
into her anthologies from outside the SF Magazine.