[*FSFFU*] Another new voice

From: Jennifer Krauel (jkrauel@actioneer.com)
Date: Mon Sep 15 1997 - 12:13:38 PDT

OK, time to stop lurking and say hello.
First I have to say I'm thrilled to find this list. In the dozen or so
years I've been using the Internet this is what I've been waiting for.
I've been reading science fiction since a high-school instructor had
me read the Illustrated Man and Earth Abides and I was hooked.
Of course, before that was the Black Cauldron, that Lloyd Alexander
series.

Then in the late 80's I was a member of a collective running a women's
bookstore and discovered the world of feminist science fiction and fantasy
and haven't read many male authors since. Just making up for lost time!

I really enjoyed Susanna Sturgis' columns in the Feminist Bookstore
News, which I miss now that I'm not working at the bookstore anymore.

Which reminds me, in the archives there was a brief discussion about magic
realism. Sturgis edited a volume of stories, can't remember the title,
but it included a story by Kathleen(?) Alcala, I think that was her name.
I read a book of her stories and liked them a lot.

My day job is software development and marketing, which I like
because it makes me feel like I'm part of that edge turning science
fiction into reality. It also means I don't use the computer that much
when I'm not working (except for this list!) I don't have any sort of
academic background, so I'm a little intimidated by some of your
discussion, although I'm learning from it. I do write some reviews
(pretty much academic-buzzword-free) for a friend that has a web
page: http://www.wenet.net/~kwriter/Public/SFReview/Index.htm
I'm a big fan of Melissa Scott, but I also wrote about Remnant
Population, Gaia's Toys, the Porcelain Dove, and I can't remember
what else.

Right now I'm reading Jones' The White Queen which is delightfully
wierd and getting wierder. I've also recently read Pat Murphy's Nadya
and would be interested to hear what others thought of it. I just
loved Murphy's earlier works and was disappointed in this one.
Also recently read Butler's Blood Child which I recommend to
anyone interested in her, as it includes her comments about various
stories plus some essays that closely reflected what she said the
time I saw her speak.

Finally, on Xena: I'm a big fan and only slightly embarrassed
about it. I explain it by saying if there had been stories like that
when I was growing up I wouldn't have to watch it now.

That's enough going on and on about me for now. Oh, one more
thing, I have to say hello to Eleanor Arnason and Nicola Griffith,
and thank you for your fabulous books, I read any of them I find,
then eagerly wait for the next.

Jennifer

--
Jennifer Krauel      Director of Product Marketing
jkrauel@actioneer.com 415.536.0715 fax 415.882.4372