[*FSFFU*] introduction, recommendation, Butler, bloodchild

From: Stefanie Jenssen (stefanie@INNET.LU)
Date: Tue Sep 23 1997 - 09:56:31 PDT

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this list - and I am really glad I found it. My name is Stefanie
Jenssen, I am interested in fsf - although I only started to read science
fiction four years ago. I have been a mother for two weeks now and still
recovering from landing on this new planet.
I like best works dealing with the complicated topic of human-human,
human-alien relationships. In that respect I read a great collection
lately: "Off Limits, Tales of Alien Sex", ed. by Ellen Datlow, Ace Books,
New York 1997.

In my opinion, Octavia Butler is one of the great "masters" when it comes
to describing relationships. "Kindred" is one of my favourites, and the
short story "Bloodchild" reveals her talent for disturbing her readers. She
maintains that "Bloodchild" is a love story, while "Kindred" is not. I have
difficulties not seeing the humans in "Bloodchild" as absolutely dependent
and enslaved by the Tlic. All in all, when rereading, I always find it
disturbing, although I can see Butler point about a possible partnership
between the alien and the human. But love?

If you want to read "Bloodchild" on the web, you can find it here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/longterm/books/chap1/bloodchi.htm

I am looking forward to listening and talking on this list.

Stefanie

*IC98**IC98**IC98**IC98**IC98**IC98*

Stefanie Jenssen
Co-chair at Intercontact 98
The Norwegian Science Fiction Convention
GoHs: Pat Cadigan and Gwyneth Jones

*IC98**IC98**IC98**IC98**IC98**IC98*