Re: [*FSFFU*] *On* topic -- homemakers

From: Lesley Hall (Lesley_Hall@CLASSIC.MSN.COM)
Date: Tue Sep 23 1997 - 13:12:50 PDT

As I recall, there was an interesting take on this topic in Lois McMaster
Bujold's 'Ethan of Athos' which posited an all-male society (with ectogenetic
births) in which--I thought plausibly and unlike most sf/fantasy all-male
societies--nurturance was valued both economically (in terms of valuable
'social credit' points rather than hard cash, as I recollect) and
socially--since a society could hardly survive and perpetuate itself
successfully without it. The eponymous hero found it hard to understand the
situation in dualled-sex social systems. The book, though fairly light, and
perhaps best defined as a 'caper', seemed to me to have thought through this
background detail with more intelligence and imagination than most who have
devoted large thick serious society-building novels to single gender
societies.
Lesley Hall
Lesley_Hall@classic.msn.com
PS have there been some problems with the server? my weekend messages got
bounced