Re: [*FSFFU*] Wonder Woman (was Re: Are we talking about Feminist SF?)

From: Sean Johnston (sean-johnston@UIOWA.EDU)
Date: Wed Sep 24 1997 - 15:15:36 PDT

 -- in its paranoid way, I
>found it interesting and entertaining. I even liked the second book, though
>I never read any further than that. I was not offended by the portraits of
>women I found there, but it also seemed that Herbert was not very aware of
>gender issues.
>
>-- Janice

Perhaps he wasn't, but consider that this was the early sixties. Were very
many people like Frank Herbert very aware of gender issues as we define the
term ('aware') today? I think that, were he writing today, you'd be right,
but to apply a nineties sensibility (I'm assuming yours is a nineties
sensibility) to a thing written in the sixties, and probably from a sixties
sensibility, isn't fair to the person who wrote in the sixties.

-Sean