Re: [*FSFFU*] all male societies

From: Carrie A Preston (presto10@PILOT.MSU.EDU)
Date: Thu Sep 25 1997 - 14:17:49 PDT

> >>I am a frequent viewer of the list, but a rare contributor. I have a
> >>student doing a project on science fiction who is examining alternate
> >>forms of reproduction. We have several examples of all female societies
> >>solving reproduction in interesting ways, but can uncover only one all
> >>male society in utopian sf where reproduction is a major issue. This is
> >>in the book _Ethan of Athos_ by Lois M. Bujold. Other suggestions of
> >>books that we might consider would be welcome.

> I recollect, somewhat vaguely, a Cordwainer Smith all-male society in one
> of his short stories. An entire world of testosterone poisoning.

This is in _The_Best_of_Cordwainer_Smith_. There was an all-male society; I
don't remember how they reproduced, just that the, er, attitudes toward
homosexuality expressed really bothered me.

--Carrie

Carrie A. Preston Carrie A. Preston
348 Mason Hall 3626 Cambrey Drive
Michigan State University Lansing, MI 48906
East Lansing, MI 48825 (517) 321-0317
(517) 355 2136
presto10@pilot.msu.edu
There is water at the bottom of the ocean.
                                --David Byrne