Re: [*FSFFU*] Dune, role-models and Sex (was Re: Wonder Woman ...)

From: luz guerra (lguerra@ibm.net)
Date: Thu Sep 25 1997 - 14:52:14 PDT

Joel VanLaven wrote:

> About the role-model thing. Do people really identify with their sex so
> much? I tend to find my role models where the author intended regardless
> of sex. Of course I am not starved for role-models of my sex. Perhaps
> what we really need is sufficient role-models of both sexes for everyone.
> That is one reason I like to read feminist/queer fiction, so that I can
> feel like/identify with/"become" as many different types of people
> as possible.

lg: I may find role models among both men and women. But remember,
we're
talking 25-30 years ago. As a 13, 14, 16 year old I was constantly
reminded
and even forced back into the socially acceptable box for my sex.
Harrassed while travelling alone as a girl, I decided to "disguise"
myself
as a boy to have more freedom. I hitch-hiked (hey, it was a long time
ago)
from one city to the next and upon arrival my friends/family teased and
ridiculed me -- not, interestingly, for wanting to look like a boy --
but
for thinking that I could. We didn't use this language then, but
basically
they were saying I was too femme to pass... to give up the thought of
that
freedom. Chani, Jessica, Alia, were femme, but were able to "pass"
sometimes
in a man's world. Identifying with a different gender or sex is one
thing in
fantasy and fiction, but to survive the "real" world I NEEDED role
models
who were more like me/more accessible. And yes, I guess I was then
starved
for role models of my sex.

> On the topic of Dune, who would you rather have been, Paul or his mother?

lg: I think I thought back then that power corrupted Paul... for awhile
remember wanting to be Chani (close to the power and favored) and even
Alia.
I coveted Paul's educational opportunities. As a grown woman/mother
now, I
would go for Jessica.

luz

"dear sisters, we know what our job is, let us sow together the
subversive seed of unity." lea guido