Re: [*FSFFU*] Dune, role-models and Sex (was Re: Wonder Woman ...)

From: luz guerra (lguerra@ibm.net)
Date: Thu Sep 25 1997 - 15:10:38 PDT

Nalo Hopkinson wrote:

> I think I can identify with any character who has traits I'd like to
> have, or does things I'd like to do, even if only in fantasy. In that
> way, it doesn't matter their culture, race, gender, species even.
>
> But it's also nice to see yourself mirrored. I guess that's part of the
> popularity of 'everyman' types of characters such as the ones you see a
> lot in folk tales. They're depicted as average, everyday people who
> triumph, as opposed to any number of kings, knights or fair ladies.
>
> -nalo
>
> "There are two kinds of dates; the kind that you go out with, and the
> small fruit that you eat."
> -my aunt

lg: HIStorically, stories are written about men of power: kings,
knights,
presidents, hero soldiers, etc. REAding history or scifi in the 60s and
70s
I might have thought myself invisible (brown woman/poor/worker). Much
literature by women/people of color/working class people began almost
necessarily by placing ourselves in the world. Seeking to see ourselves
mirrored, or being moved when by chance we Do see ourselves mirrored, is
ultimately about wanting to be visible, valid, human.

luz

"dear sisters, we know what our job is, let us sow together the
subversive seed of unity." lea guido